Your Guide To Types Of Patrol Guard Tour Systems and How To Choose OneCameron N.
If you are a private patrol firm looking to upgrade to a patrol guard tour system, you may find a plenty of different kinds clocking system for security guards available in the market. To choose the best real-time guard tour system, you need to know the types and how each one works and can be useful to your business.
Here we have compiled the major types of patrol guard tour systems to help you narrow down your search:
Watchman’s Clock System
A watchclock is a mechanical clock based patrol guard tour system used by private security firms. It is the oldest type of guard tour system and has been in use since the mid 19th Century.
The the mechanical clock systems was most commonly used and required a key to manually punch a number to a strip of paper with the time pre-printed on it. During the patrol, the security officer was supposed to stop at each key station to print the key number on the paper dial located within the watchclock. The paper dials were used to examine by the security manager to determine if patrols were completed on time. The paper dials could be filed away for future records.
Advantages of Watchman’s Clock System
- Least expensive type of system and simple to use.
Disadvantages of Watchman’s Clock System
- Only 30 or less key stations can be used.
- Security patrol devices are fairly large and bulky making them difficult to carry
- Paper dial have to be changed every 24 hours
- Automatic reports can’t be created, no incident codes to indicate abnormal conditions
- No real-time reporting of officer’s activity
Electronic Guard Tour System
Electronic guard tour systems are similar previous patrol guard tour systems except they use electronic components rather than mechanical. Electronic security patrol devices , called a “wands”, are used that is carried by the security officer when on patrol. Sometimes a card may also be used.
“Checkpoint stations” with some type of device that can be read electronically are used on-site. On patrol, the security officer scans the wand at each checkpoint station to record the location of the station and the current time. Most electronic systems also allowed the security officer to record any abnormal conditions found at the checkpoint station but it is a complicated process. At the end of the tour or shift, the security officer places the wand into a “docking station” to download information from the wand.This database can be displayed on the computer screen and/or printed.
Advantages of Electronic Guard Tour Systems
- Wand is smaller and easier to carry than watchman’s clock
- Incident codes can be entered to record abnormal conditions on the patrol tour
- Missed stops and abnormal patrol activity can be identified.
- System can store activity for longer periods than a watchman clock.
Disadvantages of Electronic Guard Tour Systems
- More expensive than watchman’s clock system
- More complicated to use
- Does not provide real-time reporting of officer’s activity
Advanced Patrol Guard Tour System
It is a major improvement over the previous types and is presently used by most of the security companies for monitoring on-site movement of security guards.
Rather than depending on on-site keystations and punching mechanism, it uses GPS tracking technology to monitor the movement of guards in and out of the sites.
The security guards are not required to carry any special equipment. Instead they can use the mobile app on their smartphones. The reports are submitted in real time through the mobile app and can be supported by images and videos. Details reports are stored in secure cloud databases cutting down the need for paper reports and documentation. Also, when needed the reports can be exported.
For internal management and client communication, it provides dashboard and client portal respectively. One of the major advantage of advanced patrol guard tour system is that it streamlines and strengthens the communication flow among all stakeholders.
Advantages of Advanced Patrol Guard Tour System
- No special equipment required, smartphones act as security patrol devices.
- Gives the guards the convenience to update on-site reports using the mobile app in real-time
- Complete and advanced reports can be created in real-time that are easy to analyse and export.
- Detailed incident reports to identify activities on site and their frequency.
- GPS enabled patrol tour system provides real-time tracking of officer activity, the supervisor is notified of missed sites and delays.
Disadvantages of Advanced Patrol Guard Tour System
- If the system is not real-time, delayed reporting may be an issue.
The Latest Technology
As per the user feedback and utility offered, an advanced patrol tour guard system is the best option for investment. It enhances the capabilities of the security team and guarantees superior level of on-site performance. Guardso is designed to cater to the needs of all stakeholders- the on-field security team, security firm’s management and the clients.
Here is what it includes:
- Ability to use standard smartphone as security patrol devices. The mobile app can be downloaded from the app store and supports all iOS and Android devices.
- Intuitive PPO Dashboard for effortless supervision from the security monitoring center.
- Client Portal to manage profiles, communication, and report-sharing with the clients.
Guardso is a patrol tour guard system used by over 500+ companies worldwide. It is a one stop solution to tackle accountability and communication issues. It combines utility with simplicity.